[Jacob-list] electric fences

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Aug 2 19:40:21 EDT 2005

Hi Juliet,

Thank you for such an informative post.  I have limited experience with electric fencing for sheep, but have used it successfully for horses.  I purchased sheep from a Tennessee farm that used high tensile fencing that seemed to work very well.  The fence was professionally installed and very well maintained.  I do think that it's important that sheep be trained to electric fence.  It doesn't sound like being trained to an electric fence would have helped your ram lamb, though.

I certainly like the idea that maybe I shouldn't keep the bashers.  It's annoying, even if they don't manage to destroy the fence.  At the moment, I don't have any fence challengers, which is nice.

Nina does have a piece of pvc taped to her horns, which worked well with my stupid Nubian goat.   Three years back, I had a four horned ewe lamb that knocked off both laterals.  She had good strong, long tops, but somehow would manage to get stuck in the fence.  It's hard to explain, but she would manage to get her head through the fence sideways, but then would get twisted trying to withdraw.  I taped pvc on her horns with electrical tape.  I admit I taped as tight as I could as I did not want to find this lamb dead with her head in the fence.  After three weeks - another shepherd's error (I should have checked her more often) - I noticed the horn tips were falling forward.  When I removed the pvc and the tape, I found that the horns were very weak above the tape.  Still very strong behind the tape.  I had cut off the blood flow enough to severely weaken the horns above the tape.  Her horns developed well after that, but the tips were always abit bendy.

Linda

Getting ready for 2006 lambs!
www.patchworkfibers.com