[Jacob-list] question on horns

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 12:31:52 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/15/2005 8:40:06 PM Central Standard Time,
patchworkfibers at alltel.net writes:

> I hope someone else will jump in here on this, as I may be wrong, but I
> think that since SUED is linked to the polycerate gene, you would most often
> (but maybe not always) see it on four horned animals.  Does sued occur in
> hornless and/or polled sheep?

Split upper eyelid defect is associated with polyceraty and therer are no
reports I am aware of that hint of such a defect in polled sheep.  As to the
"hornless" phenotype the question should be placed on the table.  There are
impediments to answering the question: the observation in the ewe of the sex-linked
"hornless gene" presented as an aberrant horn and the scur at the lateral horn
location, the willingness to present such a finding which would suggest other
questions.

Fred Horak