[Jacob-list] New mom rejecting lamb

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 3 16:56:11 EDT 2005

I had a ewe with twins do this.  She had a favored lamb and the reject.  She
was a nervous ninny for either lamb trying to nurse--kept spinning away from
the lambs.  When the favored lamb finally latched on, she'd tolerate him
nursing for a brief period of time.  When the non-favored lamb tried to
nurse, she'd whack her into the next county.

Strangely, she could count to two and would holler her head off if both
lambs weren't there.  Then the non-favored lamb was rewarded by being
whacked again.

The lambs are bonded to each other, so I turned them out with the rest of
the flock.  The rejected lamb was bottle fed and then transitioned to a
nurser bucket.  Today, she refused the bucket and her tummy feels full.
Either she's learned to sneak from mom or she's a true bummer--bumming milk
from other ewes.

Kate Shirley
Humbug Farm