[Jacob-list] New mom rejecting lamb

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 3 14:44:39 EDT 2005

Hi Marguerite,
     I have heard this from others: the lamb might have a very sharp tooth
or sharp teeth that is hurting the ewe.  If so, you can dull the tip(s) by
a very light stroke with a nail file.  I also had a ewe reject the lamb,
she was a first time mother.  This ewe is different than the rest, doesn't
want me interfering at all.  I picked up the lamb to take it to the barn
and the ewe went bonkers!  She yelled for the lamb and when I put it down
in the barn she smacked it.  I ended up bottle-feeding the lamb and holding
the ewe so the lamb could nurse.  That was several years ago and I learned
not to interfere with this particular ewe.  I think the fact she was a new
mother had something to do with it.  Also this ewe seems to "not have a
full deck of cards", "elevator does not go all the way to top floor", i.e.
she is kinda dumb.
Cathy