[Jacob-list] Re: Fly strike

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 20:35:45 EDT 2004

Hi Abigail
Immediately on finding any fly strike, we would use dagging shears to cut back the wool and chop up and gently scrape off the maggots and any eggs.  A  product such as Crovect (I don't know if you have this in the USA - it kills eggs and maggots at all stages of growth) would then be sprayed onto the area and it's surrounds to make sure no maggots remained and to prevent re-infestation.  The horrible things cause such distress to the animal that we prefer to get them off straight away - it's not a pleasant task, but the sooner they are gone the better - also the chickens like to eat them <G>.  So if you find any more, you don't need to wait until you have a spray, just scrape them off then spray when you have it.
We have found this year, which has been very wet here in Britain, that fly strike has been a big problem even when using preventive sprays.  I am lucky never to have seen fly strike on a dog, but last year when our very old cat was approaching death and had taken herself off to die, the flies began laying eggs on her .  I could just pick them off before they hatched but I wondered if they could detect approaching death - if they had hatched they would have been ready to attack as soon as she died.
Hateful things !!!
Juliet in Scotland