[Jacob-list] Fly strike

Abigail Brown blotham at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 19:20:24 EDT 2004

Hello Jacob Listers -

In the past I have dealt w/ fly strike, but only with our collies.

This past week our beloved Feller our ram was struck with fly strike, located behind his horns and on the back of his head. Upon first discovering it all I had was the purple anticeptic spray, which I sprayed every place I saw maggots and eggs, hoping that it would kill them or at least thwart them until I could get some fly/maggot spray.

The next day we went to the local farm store and purchased a can of Screw worm spray. There were two companies to chose from, both had the same main ingredient. That evening upon examining Feller the purple spray did thwart the maggots but did not eradicate them. I sprayed the screw worm spray where all the maggots and eggs were. The next day upon examination almost all were gone except a few. I sprayed the effected areas one more time and that was the end of the maggot problem.

I would have desired to have that same spray when I found it on the dogs as that eradiction was not as quickly and simple!

Have a great day!

Abigail Brown
Shiloh Farm
Petersburg, IN