[Jacob-list] Re: Farm diversification

Shawn Hoefer shawnhoefer at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 13:13:44 EDT 2004

We raise Jacob sheep, Angora goats, La Mancha dairy goats, chickens, rabbits, horses, dogs, cats,
teenagers and a ferret... how's that for diversification.

There are solutions for the feeding problem... seperation works well or feeding in a large number
of places.

As for the parasites and worming frequently, try feeding a grain mixed with DE. We do that and it
seems to work well as all of our animals stay relatively healthy.

Milking, on the other hand, is a chore that will hold you down. Don't get milkers unless you plan
on giving up your vacation trips out of town or hiring an outside individual or persuading a child
to milk. We milk 2 times a day (as much as we ever have regardless of the breed of goat we are
milking) and chore time, including milking, takes about 1.5 hours each morning and evening. We
still travel on a rare occasion, but our eldest living at home teen milks for us when we're gone.

HTH,

Shawn Hoefer
One of the denizens of the Laffing Horse Farm