[Jacob-list] Re: Farm diversification

Christopher Brantley brantleychristopher at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 11 10:54:38 EDT 2004

I have both Jacobs and Boer Goats/Boer Hybrids.

I am looking forward to the day when the last goat goes to the freezer....
they all get along well EXCEPT when I give them grain. The goats aren't
hungry, but they don't like letting the sheep have grain. I have to sit
there and keep the two seperate critter types seperated until everyone has
got what they want/need to eat. Other wise the sheep don't get any grain and
the grain justs sits there.

I would consider diversification with something like chickens or geese.
Something other than competition. The other option I would think about is a
seperate pasture/barn if you want to go the goat route. The other thing in
the mountains of NC that I have been told is a problem would be the Nubian
Goats not only need frequent milking ( a lot of work in and of itself), but
they thend (in this area) to pick up a lot of parasites easily... many of
the folks here have to worm twice a month instead of the typical once a
month with other breeds. I would check in your area to see what breeds fare
the best with the least effort. I'm all about what works best without too
much effort (I'm a lazy farm guy!)

Best of Luck,
  -Christopher