[Jacob-list] Out of season Lamb !

crackerdst at surfglobal.net crackerdst at surfglobal.net
Sun Sep 12 19:54:30 EDT 2004

   Surprise surprise !

   Last spring I woefully informed the forum that both my Jacob ewes had
lost their lambs to stomping . I asked for opinions as to weather
anyone thought that they would get bred in the spring ( as the weather
was much like autumn and the daylight hours where about the same as
well ) .I had observed some frisky behavior between the ram and the
recently lambless moms , which looked alot like fall amour to me .
   General opinion seemed to be 50-50 that it could happen with a few
comments about the genetic purity of Jacob ewes who would be so wanton
in the spring .
   Voila ! One ram lamb this a.m. He must be about 9 lbs , about the biggest
lamb I've ever seen .
   Has anyone else ever had a Jacob lamb in the fall ?
                                   Donna in N.VT