[Jacob-list] Guardian dogs

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sun May 23 07:30:36 EDT 2004

Cate,

The Great Pyrs are the least aggressive dogs TO PEOPLE you will find in the LGD group of dogs.  That doesn't mean they won't shred dogs and predators that come and threaten the livestock (or you) if those same dogs/predators don't heed the warnings given by the dogs before they are attacked!

There are dogs that are in and out of the house as pups.  There are a few people who feel a LGD should never be touched, petted, etc.  I STRONGLY disagree with this advice.  You will probably learn much more about your individual dog if you are with him much of the time.

Contact me off-list and I will call you if you want to talk through some of your questions and concerns.

Mary Ellen

CATE <cate at centurytel.net> wrote:
Sorry I am so new didn't realize there was a difference. This puppy will be
in my house and with sheep when outside. The other email I got said to be
careful until past juvenile years but I have no older dog to teach him. Is
there a good book I should get to help him learn. I read that they were
protective against strangers and predatory animals but never had an
aggressive dog - maybe it is because of the way they are part of my family
and my home. Will I ever be able to leave him outside during day with sheep
without problems. If not - I probably won't get the pup.

Cate

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool