[Jacob-list] wether horns

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Mon May 10 19:38:05 EDT 2004

I'm sure no expert on this, but I believe that a section of weak horn, like you describe,  reflects a stress situation.
I normally think of nutritional stress, but perhaps other types of stress would case a nutritional drain.

My understanding of horn genetics (limited, I admit) says that wethering should produce a ram with ewe-like horns, but
not weak horns in a purebred Jacob.  That said, I remember a wether (wethered by a vet) that had serious ram like
horns.  (PD - am I right?  I'm thinking about Pokey).

When were your guys wethered?  How old are they now?

Linda

On Mon, 10 May 2004 15:16:31 -0700 (PDT), Victoria da Roza wrote:
>This is the first time I have made wethers and have a question about the
>horns.  Both boys seem to have horns that someone has been taking bites out
>of.  Is this because no testosterone?  Is there something lacking in their
>diets?  It is not at the point of the horns but rather one third down.  The
>inside of the horns seem dry and you can see the individual fibers that the
>horn is made of???  Do they just have dry and flaky horns after losing their
>manhood?  I thought I heard that they would have horns more like ewes but not
>this weak.  One of them is weened and one is just about weened.
>
>===== Victoria Castle Rock Farm Jacob Sheep & Nigerian Dwarf Goats
>www.castlerockfarm.net

Visit our lambs!
http://www.patchworkfibers.com/2004lambs.html