[Jacob-list] Jacob Fiber - Prices Received?

Higgins ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Sat Mar 27 02:12:16 EST 2004

Heel low:

With the weather turning warmer, my thoughts turn to the wool that will
soon be off my Jacobs.

What prices do those of you who sell raw fiber receive?  Per ounce or
pound please.  Well skirted of course.  Public or private replies
welcome!

I wash my Jacobs in the fall and then before I shear (saves on
sharpening combs and provides a very nice cleaner fleece to work with).
This is my first year of caring for their fiber growth and am quite
pleased with the results.

I have grey lilac, chocolate lilac, black&whites.  Staple length is
about seven inches (there ARE bonuses to having -45C weather & feeding
them well!).  The comments from fiber crafters on the samples I sent out
are:  great length, nice fullness, good handle, distinct or wonderful
colour, soft but not excessive, very clean, excellent growth.  I will be
micron testing all my sheep this year from the samples when I shear
them.

One of the ewes I had been told was "ho hum" rated second choice and
received this weavers/spinners comment's:  "this has a wonderful feel to
it. It is soft, but not limp, has a nice handle to it. Slight crimp and
excellent color blending in some areas and yet distinctive colors in
other areas. It is a good spinning length."

Means I must be doing something right with my Jacobs...hee hee!  ;-)

Am looking forward to some ideas on what the market is supporting for
our renewable woollen sheeper clothing.

Doggone,

Tara
--