[Jacob-list] Question about Lilacs?????

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 06:34:19 EST 2004

Hi,

I have seen a variety of color variations over the years.  I have seen the early graying that takes place and can be seen and clearly demarcated on the sheep by a line running down their side.  Above the line, the animal is markedly gray....below the line (even within a single spot on the animal) it markedly darker and rarely completely black without any graying.  I have seen these early graying sheep (sometimes by weaning...other times by their 2nd shearing.....) be both known lilac carriers as well as presumed homozygous blacks.  I consciously select away from the early graying sheep in my own flock as the trait has been transmitted almost 100%.

I have not observed early graying traits noted in lilacs, although we all know that there are some lines of lilacs that fade out to "white" in the pasture.  I suspect we are looking at three separate issues---lilacs and graying and fading.  They might be all found on the same animal just like blue eyes and black/white coloring---but not be genetically linked.

The original question that Cathy had regarding a black appearing body on a lighter-colored face has also been observed here a couple of different times.  I can't say WHAT that is and responded in kind off-list to her.

One ewe in particular had brown eye patches before she left the barn (from birth) and black fleece.  She carries no eye ring.  She is a known lilac carrier as her sire was lilac and she has produced a lilac ewe.  Today, as an adult, Inga looks for all intents and purposes just like a very typical black/white ewe.

Color is interesting, but there are many unanswered questions in my mind about what I am actually looking at when I see some of the variations.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool