[Jacob-list] Question about Lilacs?????

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Thu Mar 25 05:03:24 EST 2004

Dan,

I've wondered about this, actually.  Do you suppose that those born black, or seemingly black, are really just blacks with a really active fading gene, and the ones born light grey, are really grey?  Do they fade with time, both of them or just the one or neither?  I know that romneys born black get lighter every year until they are almost white.  Shetlands born black (that are really grey) grow in grey and stay grey all their lives.  They don't seem to fade over time.  Shetlands born grey seem to grow in very light grey, almost white, the first year and stay that color.  So, is lilac in jacobs a fading grey like romneys or a staying grey like shetlands, or is there one of each?  I have had a couple of those born black, come in charcoal, fade over time sort of lilacs, but never one born blue grey.  That might happen this year as I"ve used a lilac ram and have some ewes with lilac genes.  We shall see! Betty in Vermont.