[Jacob-list] Question about Lilacs?????

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Mar 21 19:30:53 EST 2004

I've had a few lilacs born here. Not many, so I'm not very knowledgeable about them.
Until this year, my lilacs have been quite obvious at birth - head to toe, as you
say - obvious leg patches, facial markings, and body spots.  Mine were a definite
brown/chocolate rather than blue/gray.  This year, I have a lilac ram lamb that
looked black at birth, except for blue/gray eye patches.  A few days later, the body
spots are a deep blue.  He doesn't have any leg markings.

The two adult lilac ewes here are chocolate all over - face, legs, spots.

Seems like all lilacs are lumped together to include anything that is "not black.
Obviously, all lilacs are not the same color.  I hope some of you can shed some
light on this - I'm also interested.  Dan? Neal? You both have lilacs - what do you
see on your lambs?

Linda