[Jacob-list] Sick Dog

CATE cate at centurytel.net
Fri Mar 19 19:17:15 EST 2004

The questions I would try to answer:

My dog is a lab sharpei mix  - he is 9 years old.  He is large for a sharpei
and bulky for a lab.
The vet says sharpei's have tendency to have tumors and labs have tendency
to lose kidney function.  They say he is old.  He is only 9.
My sheep have not been wormed since last May - some were born last Feb and
some were adults.  No idea with what.
I have no chemicals here
There are rats in area - we are in temporate rain forest with 144+ inches of
rain.
We do not have ticks - I check the Lyme Disease Center and only 4 cases of
it in Washington state and all were recent imports.   There are fleas here
but no ticks.
I live in Forks, Washington - on the western most side of the Olympic
Peninsula.  The little peninsula that sticks out into the Pacific - 50 miles
from me is the most Northwestern point in USA (excluding Alaska).
I will ask my vet about leptospirosis and ehrlichiosis
It is a 114 mile trip to vet and I just got back - they have him on IV and
he urinated this am - if all tests results are better they will try to bring
him up to be able to survive operation to remove tumor.
His potassium should be 1.8 it is over 10 -  He has calcium deposits showing
in kidneys and other organs - they say complete liver failure.

I don't know if he also eats chicken shit but he does like an occasional raw
egg.
Thank you for your concern and all prayers are gratefully needed.

I love my Jacobs and would hate to think their presence caused this sadness.

Cate

It has been a few years since I was a tech but these are the questions I
would try to answer:
What kind of dog and how old is he?
Have the sheep been wormed recently and with what?
What other chemicals (if any) have they had?
Do you have rodents (especially rats) in the area?
Has your dog been tested and/or vaccinated for leptospirosis?  Many vets
don't include it routinely because it causes a severe reaction sometimes.  I
have only seen 2 cases of lepto.  It is sometimes hard to diagnose.  It is
nasty but it can be cured.
Where do you live and are there any new diseases in your area?
Do you have tick problems?  If so has the dog been tested for ehrlichiosis?

Good luck.