[Jacob-list] jugging

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at blueridge.net
Sat Mar 6 08:45:13 EST 2004

>     I guess the basic question is how are these guys at being siblings?

I find sheep relationships so interesting to watch.  We have some family
groups here that include three generations.  We have never had a problem
with siblings when a new brother or sister comes along. We have found
the yearlings inquisitive and anxious to see/meet their new brother or
sister...much the same as their human counterparts when the new baby
comes home from the hospital.

The surprise element for the yearling, we have found though, is the
immediate change in their relationship with mom, who is now totally
focused on the new arrivals and can seem to almost "turn" on the former
"apple of their eye" in favor of the new babies.  I have seen them
aggressively butt them away in some instances.....which will all even
out in a relatively short time,  when you will then see all of them
enjoying family togetherness again.  We do have some ewes too, that are
so friendly and personable that they want the new arrival to meet
everyone, and those babies are introduced to siblings with no problem.

I love watching the interactions!  It is always with joy and some
amazement that I watch mothers and daughters find one another and
re-connect almost immediately following a shift in groups where they
might be separated from one another for even a period of months.

We jug our moms and babies for a couple of days after birth.  We have
not had good luck putting the mothers in early in anticipation of the
impending birth, however.  Our experience has shown that those girls who
have mothers in the flock, or other sheep that they are strongly bonded
to do not want to be removed from those "friends" at that point, and
usually those early lock-ups have resulted in very stressed sheep, some
of which are intent on attempting escape.  We have found it better to
let them lamb among their family and friends, if they choose to, and
then lock the mother and new babies up for a couple days when the ewe's
focus has shifted naturally....with the birth of the babies.

Where sheep choose to lamb is another interesting subject.  Our first
lambs arrived only this week.  The ewe isolated herself from the rest of
the flock in the early stages of labor, but then right before the first
baby arrived, she transplanted herself to the most public spot she could
find....at the base of the hay feeder where she had lots of onlookers
and companionship!

Cathy
Perfect Spot Farm