[Jacob-list] Re: stomped babies

Melanie melanie.boxall at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 5 17:43:46 EST 2004

Normally I pen mine off but this year we have no space, due to having cows
in the barn, so everyone is lambing in a big open barn space, about 20x20,
and they don't seem to mind. The lambs play together, and everyone seems to
know who belongs to who. In fairness though, I've been very lucky with my
girls, I've never had to assist with a birth, we only ever had one
rejection, and both that ewe and her daughter "got over it". Just to freak
you out completely there are two young rams (not Dad) in this space with
them, and there's been no problems. But then, as I'm sure you know, I'm that
crazy wayward woman who uses herbs for worming, never docks, never touches
navels, and basically lets them run wild. But I have happy, healthy sheep
and gentle rams, so I'm not changing what works!!!

Melanie
My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.