[Jacob-list] Re: stomped babies

Nedra Darnell windyweir at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 5 09:31:18 EST 2004

I have some ewes who really want to be jugged.  All of them lamb in the
open - either the barn or the field, depending on the weather conditions -
but some of the older ones will bring their lambs up to a jug and wait for
me to open it for them.  That was especially true when one of the jug lovers
tripled.  As soon as the third lamb was on the ground and cleaned, even
before she passed the afterbirth, she was yelling for me to get a jug ready
for her.  For some some of the especially mothering ewes, it seems to make
things easier for them for a couple of days.  When there isn't as much push
for jugs, I leave them open and some ewes routinely tuck their lambs in a
jug themselves for the night.

Nedra Darnell
Fibre Folds Farm
Bath, NY