[Jacob-list] Re: stomped babies

Katrina & Dave davekat at copper.net
Fri Mar 5 07:38:02 EST 2004

I am always torn about jugging.  When we lamb this late, I think it does the
ewe a lot of good to get fresh green grass those first three days.  (I sound
a bit too positive about spring, don't I?)   Old books say there is nothing
better for getting her back in working order and getting milk flow.  Also
for getting rid of a retained placenta.

But I do think that it makes it easier for the shepherd and to tame up the
lambs.  We have never jugged but do move the ewe and lamb over to another
barn and pasture where they have free choice alfafa to suppliment the grass.
Most times they will keep the lambs in that small barn for 2 days (or in and
out) so that serves as a jug in some ways.  Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane
Farm