[Jacob-list] Re: stomped babies

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Mar 5 07:16:03 EST 2004

Our sheep lamb wherever they want to - some lamb in the barn and some have a
favorite lambing spot.  I don't know what RubyBelle will do when we move.  She's
lambed under the same tree for 8 years.

I will usually move the ewe and her lambs to a jug that's about  8 x 8 after the ewe
has cleaned the lamb and the lamb has nursed.  There's no particular reason for that
size - it just happens to be the area where I can attach hog panels for a temporary
enclosure.  I only jug them so that I can easily catch the ewe for worming, the lamb
for spraying iodine on the navel, and to dock the tails (but I don't think I will
dock this year).  The ewes have never needed the time to "bond" with their lambs,
which a suffolk breeder told me why he does it. It's completely a convenience for me
to jug them.  Sometimes, I'll have a very protective ewe that really doesn't want me
to touch her newborn lambs.  If the weather is nice, I'll go with her judgement and
just let them be until the next day when she's more comfortable.

Linda

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:24:36 GMT, kenleighacres at netzero.net wrote:

>I am so sorry for your loss.  I have not had this happen, but it made me
>wonder - how many people have their ewes lamb in jugs and how many people put
>their ewes in jugs after they have lambed?  All of mine lambed in the big area
>and I moved them to the jugs after lambing.  What size of jugs do people use
>for their Jacobs?
>
>Thanks - Shannon

http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
 Registered Jacob Sheep & Angora Rabbits