[Jacob-list] Re: stomped babies

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 4 13:34:37 EST 2004

Hi,

I lamb when possible in a 4 X 6 lambing jug.  I have had a number of breech births---and let me tell you that ewes can run you a distance if they get into trouble out and about.  In a lambing jug, they are very limited on how far they can go.  The space is more than adequate for lambing out moms and their babies.

Mis-mothering is a problem that breeders should watch out for.  I have watched it run in family lines, and believe in culling those animals.

Mary Ellen

kenleighacres at netzero.net wrote:

I am so sorry for your loss. I have not had this happen, but it made me wonder - how many people have their ewes lamb in jugs and how many people put their ewes in jugs after they have lambed? All of mine lambed in the big area and I moved them to the jugs after lambing. What size of jugs do people use for their Jacobs?

Thanks - Shannon

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool