[Jacob-list] reading the clues

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Jun 25 19:50:15 EDT 2004

I think you can usually tell what an animal is going to do or where it's going if you are observant and have some basic
idea of the species.  I get into trouble when I try to control Dave like a herding dog.  He doesn't have either the
instinct or the obedience (big grin) that is needed to herd sheep.
The most effective reaction to an aggressive dog is not the most effective reaction to an aggressive ram.  Our much
abused Pit Bull cross (not abused by us!) can't come with me to feed the sheep because when they challenge her she
rolls over on her back to show that she is submitting.  Well, they think that she is holding her ground and continue to
butt her until I come and rescue her.  The backing up that you might do when confronted with an unknown, threatening
dog might be interpreted by your ram as getting ready to charge.
Susan's post brought to mind a couple of years ago when I had told some neighbor kids that they could visit the sheep.
You can imagine how I felt when I saw two 6 year old girls climbing over our fence in with the rams!  I didn't exactly
mean that. Since then, I have not had rams in any perimeter paddock. And watching 3 year old Levi being "flogged" by
the rooster after his daddy and I told him to leave the rooster alone was certainly an education for Levi.  I do have
to admit that Levi is 17 now and every time I see him, I can't help but laugh at the memory.  He sure did look funny
and managed to survive being attacked by a Bantam rooster.  Levi's father was raised in a society where livestock was a
vital part of providing food, so sure did add his own "flogging" memories.
I enjoy my animals, including my rams.

Linda

 From: "Susan J Martin" <stonecroft235 at juno.com>