[Jacob-list] More than four

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 10 11:31:30 EDT 2004

I'm glad someone asked about horns cause we've observed some problems
this year. I bought a ram back in '99 that I thought had "6 horn
genetics" and have used him over the same group of ewes for five years
now - putting his female offspring to an unrelated ram. The first four
years we've had offspring with a 5th or 6th little spike between the
upright and lateral horns - not true horns, they have no core and often
break off. All of a sudden this year, we have definite 6 horn rams,
mostly expressed as fully fused upright horns and regular lateral
horns, some just have HUGE horns, both upright and lateral.
  But, there have been other problems as well. One twin ram lamb died in
utero, the vet said, about halfway to term, the back of his skull did
not close, there was extra "skin" flaps overlapping the back of his
head that could be pulled back to expose the brain. Someone was
wondering at what time during gestation they "get their spots", this
stillborn ram weighed approx. 1 lb and had pigmented skin. The ewe was
able to carry his twin to term and he appears normal and healthy. A
twin ram lamb out of another ewe, had a deformed ear, looked to be
cosmetic only, but I could feel an odd "bone ridge" behind that ear.I
don't know how/if he has grown up -  he wandered away from his mother,
got stuck between an open gate and the barn wall, and his mother
wouldn't take him back, so, I took him to a neighbor that wanted bottle
lambs. I have several other ram lambs this year that do not appear to
have completely normal heads, forward tipping horns, head flat looking
towards the back, a couple of them seem rather dull, as in dumb, one
has a slight sway to his walk that suggests OCD.
We only have three ewe lambs this year, one two horn, seems to have
normal horn growth,  the other two are four horned and I've noticed
their horns are coming in slower than normal, one broke an upright
yesterday and was bleeding, so they are true horns. Its just that at
three months old, I should be able to see horns for a registration
picture, but you can't, the horns are only 1/2' to 3/4" long.
What I find weird is that this is the first year we've experienced any
genetic problems using this ram, in the past, we've been very pleased
with his offspring. I had started to look back at nutrition and overall
herd health, the truth is, I was running low on grass hay this winter
and was only able to find alfalfa, so they have been on pasture and
hay, supplemented with alfalfa for the first time. I would think they
would be healthier, some of my ewes are fat.
Well, there's my observations for now.
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm
Oakland, Oregon