[Jacob-list] Butcher Weights

Joe & Betsy Guarino bguarino at shentel.net
Sat Jul 10 07:55:21 EDT 2004

We just had our first ram butchered this week, and the flat fee was $55.00.
That included wrapping it up for us, and returning a nice pelt to us as
well.  Of course, it would've been more for vaccuum packing, another .50 a
pound, I believe.  We live about 1.5 hours from the big city (DC) so we're
not quite rural, but a bit out there...don't know if that makes a difference
in butcher fees.
Not being sure how the younger kids in my family would respond to eating
good old "Kenny" the ram, I slipped the ground meat 50% - 50% into ground
beef to make "lamburgers" on the grill last night, and no one even
blinked -- I got lots of compliments on the good burgers!
I haven't tried any of the roasts yet (my crockpot is my best friend), but
as we enjoy a lot of venison around here, I expect it to go over well, even
though our ram was 2.5 years old.
I am sending the pelt off to Bucks in a week or two, to see how nice machine
processing is.  We've had good success in doing our own lamb pelts, but
Kenny's pelt is huge with long chocolate fleece, and it will be a stunning
rug, so I'm splurging on the cost for a professional job.
Feasting away,
Betsy Guarino
Rocky Hollow Homestead
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Jacob Sheep, Dairy Goats, Australian Shepherds