[Jacob-list] barns and summertime

Gillian Fuqua gillianfuqua at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 10 08:28:51 EDT 2004

	My sheep live in a 3 stall horse barn. I agree about the water, my
pump has been down for some time and hauling water stinks.  What is
nice is that one of the stalls has a wood floor that I can sweep and
use as a shearing/work space.  If I were to have my dream barn though,
it would include a good space for storing rolled up fence in the
winter, which is long here too, shallow bin like shelves are what I
would imagine.  I would also make the barn sheep convenient but
flexible in case I wanted other animals too.  This is coming from the
woman who arrived in VT with one cat and now has three cats, one dog,
seven sheep, one horse, and a turtle in the works....

	Despite a cool wet summer, it is glorious to be outside.  Today is a
big moving day, the flock is going to a neighbor who has wonderful,
huge pasture.  One ewe and her twins have been off clearing brush for
another neighbor.  The wet weather is slowing down the fleece washing
quite a bit but I did manage to skirt and sort the colors on one this
morning before it clouded over.  I enjoy laying out the fleeces and
thinking about what to do with them.  the one I did this AM was from my
daughter's yearling and so it is fun to think about what to do with it
( a scarf probably so that she can have it for a long time).  Another
fleece I am planning to separate and then dye the white bits a
red/orange and gold then pick that together with the brown to get a
multi-colored yarn.
	My daughter, who is almost 8, and I had a wonderful time last weekend.
  We lay down in the field and the girls came over and sniffed and came
to be petted.  If they could have, they would have sat in our laps!  So
pastoral, especially when they relax and start chewing their cuds and
give that little extremely fragrant burp that comes with it!

	Hope everyone else is enjoying mild weather, the work, and the play of
summer!

Gillian