[Jacob-list] Sheepskin prep

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 4 21:59:12 EDT 2004

Hi Chris,
     There is a good article on the Internet.  See:

Preparing Your Sheepskin for Tanning
http://www.isbona.com/vol8no1win04.html

You cover the skin side with plain salt, called hay salt in some areas.  It
is available in a 50 lb bag for less than $5.00 at the livestock feed
store.  Tell the person there what it is for and they will know what you'll
need.  Do not use rock salt or table salt.  Follow the directions in the
article and ask plenty of questions.  Also, the salt will corrode a cement
floor so clean up is essential.

Good luck, Cathy