[Jacob-list] More questions...

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Sun Jul 4 21:28:15 EDT 2004

In a message dated 7/3/2004 3:49:37 PM Central Standard Time,
brantleychristopher at hotmail.com writes:

> -Although Jacobs tend to be resistant to most infections/infestations, what
>
> (if any) vaccines and other preventative treatments do you guys give your
> lambs and and sheep; at what stages; and at what frequencies?

I have not seen any material that "Jacobs are resistant to most
infections/infestations".  Based on the various problems, infections and diseases discussed
among Jacob shepherds, I don't know that they are genetically resistant.
I think the case is still open to determine if there is parasite resistance
among a few sheep; ala Guf Coast resistance.  There may be resilinence among a
greater number but based on management practices there seems to be a tendency
toward treating apparent signs of parasites rather than determining the load
count and stressing.

We happen to give CDTs to lambs, ewes in gestation and the annual booster at
shearing.

> -At what period in the year do most people shear their Jacobs?

I am embarassed to say that I still have 12 ewes and 11 rams to shear ... I
am proud to say that I have only nicked three out of 79 I have sheared.

> -If people count sheep to go to sleep, how do Jacobs cure insomnia? (grin)

Good observation, sheep don't sleep like people.

> -Although, not my Jacobs, I've a young Suffolk cross lamb that I am ready
> .... eradicate; being a fan of lamb meat, I have the recipes lined up and
> ready to go. I hate to waste the hide; it's a great bedside rug size if only
>
> I can figure out how to tan and treat it s it will hold up. Has anyone out
> there ever done, or heard how to do such a thing?

Based on my experiemce, if you want a good pelt or good tanned sheep skin,
send it to a pelt/tanning processor.  After looking up the "how to stuff",
buying chemicals, soaking, etc. and throwing the mush and skin into the garbage, it
wasn't worth trying it again.  Been there, done it, it done me in.

Fred Horak