[Jacob-list] pine needles

kbarrett at oregontrail.net kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Wed Jan 28 18:48:10 EST 2004

I have read serveral articles regarding Pine Needle Abortion,which is a common
problem in our area.  I guess I would make sure that there was plenty of other
feed available before I would pasture preganant ewes in a Pondersoa Pine stand
This is an exerpt from an article from the Klamath County Extension
service:
Pine needle abortion: Pine needles from the Ponderosa Pine ( Pinus ponderosa)
contains an anti-estrogenic compound. Ingestion of the needles results in
abortion during the last trimester. Cows develop an addiction in favor of the
pine needles over good feed. A high protein diet increases the risk of
abortion. Abortion is characterized by a hemorrhagic condition of the placenta
and fetus. Incomplete dilation of the cervix, retained placenta and metritis
are common. Prevention requires physically isolating the cows from the pine
needles to decrease losses. Pine needles are dangerous whether fresh, dry,
fallen, on the tree, etc. The pine needles do not cause abortion in sheep but
may increase the rate of dead lambs at parturition.

Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs