[Jacob-list] Newbie with lots of questions

Carol LUSSKY sarbuddy at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 27 20:41:17 EST 2004

First
I want to say what a great list this is!!! I have learned so much from everyone about Jacobs.

Then....
I'd like to ask a bunch of questions.

I don't have any sheep right now. Just some chickens, 4 ducks, 2 geese and 2 pygmy goats.

I'd like to get a small flock of sheep this spring.  What are the suggestions as to how many to get (I'm thinking around 6).  How old should they be?  Lambs or full grown?  I'd like ewe's to start off with and maybe add a ram later on.  Is this a good idea?

What about the other critters?  Can they all be in the same pasture area?  or do they need to be kept seperate?

How about shelter.  I currently keep the critters in at night to protect them from predators (racoons like the chickens & ducks and there are an increasing number of coyotes in the area).  I'm thinking about a small barn/shed for the sheep.  How big would I need?

Does anybody know breeders in the Chicago area (I'm West of the City on a farm)?  Should I get the sheep from different breeders or all from one and get the ram from a different breeder?

What should I expect to pay?  For a lamb?  For a full grown ewe?  For a Ram?

OK, that's enough questions for now....any help/advise you folks can send my way I would greatly appreciate.

(If you can recommend any books that would help that would be appreciated too)

Thanks

Carol Lussky
Elgin, IL