[Jacob-list] shepherds crook

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Tue Jan 27 10:57:05 EST 2004

In a message dated 1/26/2004 9:54:39 PM Central Standard Time,
stonecroft235 at juno.com writes:

> .........for me the shepherd's crook has been a means of self
> defense.....a smack on the nose usually stops a ram with devilish
> thoughts!

We keep a lot of rams and usually don't give them a large (say 10) group of
ewes to breed until they have proven themselves over several test breedings.
When going into the "rams' lair" (groups that number up to 13 rams) I often
take a squirt bottle mixed with two parts of vinegar to one water and squirt any
ram that approaches.  They don't like the "squirt" and over time some  become
sensitized to my making a "shh-shh" sound like the squirt bottle. It seems to
be effective.   Fred Horak