[Jacob-list] Wool quality

Cindy M Telisak jacobsreward at juno.com
Tue Jan 20 01:27:07 EST 2004

I think I would say, rather, that due to the primitive nature of the
breed, the wool is "quite variable in its fineness."  Quality implies
"goodness," and goodness has to relate to a specific use.  Coarse wool is
perfect for rugs, blankets and outerwear, whereas fine wool is better
suited to next-to-skin garments.  I'm a spinner who believes that all
wool is good for something, even if it's stuffing pillows!  I think it's
important when marketing Jacob wool to fiber artists to encourage them to
feel each fleece individually and match it to its intended purpose.  When
in-person shopping is not an option, encourage them to work with the
shepherd, who knows his/her sheep, to find the right fleece for the right
project.  Variability translates to VERSATILITY!  One breed = many colors
and textures!
Cindy T.
Jacob's Reward Handspinning
Spinner, spin doctor