[Jacob-list] Wool quality

Higgins ranchrat at telusplanet.net
Tue Jan 20 03:20:42 EST 2004

Heel low:

Jeanette Larson <jeanette392001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am working on an article about Jacob wool. I have 30 ewes in my own
flock
> and a huge variety of wool types.

And exactly what one would expect from the breed as per the allowances
made in the standards.

> I wrote the following sentence for the article after visiting with
several fiber artists
> who use Jacob wool. Many people on fiber lists have a negative
impression of
> Jacob wool, but I know of others who love Jacob fleece.

Depends I guess on how well they are able to shop for what THEY want in
a fleece.  There certainly is enough variables in Jacob wool to suit a
huge assortment of wants.  If someone is disappointed in Jacob wool,
they are not clearly asking for or assessing what they want in fiber
from a primitive ovine breed.  Jacob fiber is not going to suit every
need and certainly it is not going to be everything for everyone, just
as camelid fiber is not everyone's preferred spinner's choice either.
Personally, I can't get enough Jacob <<HUGS>> in...so I am certainly
happy with their wool quality.

> So I wrote the following -  "Because the focus in the United States
has been on
> preserving this rare breed, the Jacob wool produced here is very
inconsistent in
> quality."

Nope, doesn't do much for me.  From what I have heard about US Jacob
wools, there is a ton of excellence that they have attained thru careful
selection processes and breeding.  Some registries inspect Jacob wool
prior to allowing entry.

Jacob wool is suppose to range from a Bradford count of 44 to 56 and
Micron count of 34.40-36.19 to 26.40-27.84.  That is the largest wool
range in any recognized sheep breed.  Sure it's "very inconsistent in
quality" because the standard allows for that.  The onus is on the fiber
artisans to choose the fleece that suits them...not for the Jacob to
conform to outside the standard's parameters.  If we bred consistent
Jacobs of only the 26.40 microns, we'd lose the versatility of the breed
for so many other crafting purposes.  That in a nutshell is what makes
Jacob fleece, Jacob fleece.

If you want boring and predictable, many wool breeds will suit just that
fancy.  With Jacobs, you gotta be smarter than your average fleecer.  Is
it worth it, you bet!  ;-)

> Would you agree with this sentence? Why or why not?

As stated, I disagree, so the why is:  Jacob wool might be considered
inconsistent because of the parameters set out by the breed standard,
largest wool range in wool sheep.  There is less and less inconsistency
in a single Jacob individual.  Therefore many fiber artisans learn to
know each Jacob by name and request year after year, that said sheep's
wool...'cause they happen to like that particular animal's consistently
produced fleece.  Sure there will be degradation with age and hormones,
but all sheep suffer this phenomenon.  ;-)

You get what you put into life; easy and predictably bland, as apposed
to hardwork and exciting results for your efforts.

I drafted up an article for an interview with a local newspaper last
year.  I have extracted a paragraph and a bit from my article about what
makes Jacob Sheep unique.

"CHARACTERISTICS UNIQUE TO THE JACOB SHEEP:

"An ancient wool breed that is primitive and domestic.  The Jacob was an
historic English “park sheep” and was left to fend for themselves.  They
were brought in once a year for shearing and the unimproved Jacob fleece
consists of a protective coat that may contain kemp and hair.  Primitive
Jacob lines have lambs born with a protective hairy birth coat that
sheds out at 3-6 months and is resistant to cold and moisture.  Fleeces
range from a Bradford count of 44 to 56 and micron count of 34.40-36.19
(44) to 26.40-27.84 (56).  This range of wool is the largest recognized
range for any wool sheep breed.  Crimp and quality vary over an
individual’s body.  Jacob fleeces are open, soft and light containing
little grease (lanolin) with a staple length of 3-7 inches, a weight of
2 to 5 pounds, and a healthy luster and sheen.  Some describe a sheared
Jacob fleece likened to a “cobweb” when describing its openness.  Jacob
fleeces are in high demand by handspinners, felters and weavers.
Sunbleached black Jacob fleece may appear in many shades of brown, so a
single undyed Jacob fleece may provide white, black, brown and grey
fiber.  Jacob hides and horn buttons provide other unique crafting
opportunities.
  "Jacob ewes and rams are polycerate (multi-horn).  They are the only
multi-horned sheep with a medium fine fleece that is not double coated."

Doggone Jacobs with the golden fleece,

Tara
--
     ____(\                Tara Lee Higgins                  /)____