[Jacob-list] Jacob Info

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri Jan 16 19:03:24 EST 2004

In a message dated 1/16/2004 2:05:27 PM Central Standard Time, ACAMDA at aol.com
writes:

> information on why Jacobs never became commercially viable,

I am not sure Jacobs never became commercially viable.  The ARK (6/74), the
journal of the RBST in England, was concerned about the Jacob in an article
"Breed of the Month".  In about five years, they describe .... "two fairly
distinct types of Jacob sheep which can be designated 'Park" and "Improved".  The
former are those which have evolved in a purely ornamental role, while the
latter have been developed as a commercial breed by progressive breeders.  As might
be expected therre is considerable difference between the perfomance of the
two types: Park weight 94lbs, Improved 133; Park Lambing % 189,k Improved
lambing % 207; Park lambing % reared 179, Improved lambing % reared 189."

There was a strong commercial market for Jacob wool, Jacob sweaters featurd
in Land's End etc., the export of lamb carcass to the continent has been very
strong.

I think it was the article in Oryx magazine in 1969 or 1970 that raised
concern that the "Park" sheep would be eclipsed and eliminated by conservation
through commercializing for an "Improved" breed.  I think that this is largely
what has occured and the RBST removed the Jacob from its 'watch list' because its
numbers increased so greatly.

Thus a distinction made by the ALBC Jacob(American) and Jacob; the former
being more closely alligned with the Park Jacob.  However, some Jacobs imported
to North America were selected for commercial purposes; some were imported by
zoos.

Fred