[Jacob-list] tail docking

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Fri Jan 16 11:30:54 EST 2004

There have been some interesting posts lately about tail docking.  We live in southwestern Ohio, where humid, hot days in July and August are typical.  On a farm, flies are quite common.  We have docked our lambs' tails for 16 years and have not regretted it.  For those who have never seen a full-blown case of maggots on an animal - take it from me, it's gross!  I would rather dock every lamb than take a chance that one would develop fly-strike.  We use a docking tool and leave the tail several inches long.  We do not approve of short docking.
I have observed our Jacob crossbred lamb tails prior to docking and found that the difference in degree of wooliness is more evident than difference in tail length.  Of course, that would depend upon what breed you are crossing with.  In our case, we use Horned Dorset and Romney crosses for market lambs.  The crossbred lambs have much smoother tails, but also show other crossbred traits.  Even with a 'non-conforming' tail, I would be surprised if the lamb did not show other crossbred traits.  I hate to see Jacob breeders becoming unduly concerned over tail length, to the point where tail docking is considered a potential 'cover-up' to pass off an unconforming animal.  For most sheep breeders, tail docking is a cleanliness issue.
"Cyclical pet issues?"  In the few years that I have participated on the inspection committee for JSBA, I have not been made aware of any discussions concerning  "degree-above-horizontal ears."  Naturally, large, pendulous ears would be an indication of crossbreeding, but rest assured that no-one is getting out their protractor to measure the elevation of ears.  Pink noses in adult sheep can also indicate crossbreeding.  As far as "high prices", are there any Jacob breeders getting rich from their flocks?  I do not think that money is the motivating factor for keeping these sheep.
Concerning "fads", I have observed several throughout the years among breeders themselves.  I have seen moderate amounts of freckles deemed as normal, to recent demands for 'freckle-free' sheep.  I have heard requests for long-stapled, crimpy wool; requests for sheep who must have both eye patches, muzzle, leg spots, and round spotting on the body; requests for sheep that have patches vs. round spots.  The list goes on.  I believe it is the breeder, who generates fads - and we must be careful.

Mary Spahr