[Jacob-list] pine needles safe?

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Thu Jan 15 23:06:31 EST 2004

I know that eating a few pine needles or nibbling a branch now and then won't harm my sheep, but does anyone have any input about the pros and cons of the sudden availability of large amounts of pine?  I am having a large (about 4 feet in diameter, 80 feet tall) ponderosa pine that is in one of my pastures cut down,  and had thought about leaving the trimmings from the branches just lay in the pasture for the sheep to munch--they love the needles, and carefully clean up any that hit the ground, so I'm guessing they would enjoy the bounty!  BUT--can this be potentially dangerous to them in these quantities?  Or do our dear smart Jacobs know when to stop?
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR