[Jacob-list] Re: Breed Standard on Docked Tails

BIDEWEE at aol.com BIDEWEE at aol.com
Thu Jan 15 21:27:56 EST 2004

In a message dated 1/15/2004 4:18:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, lambfarm at sover.net writes:

> know that as long as there is a breed standard which requires the tail to be no longer than the hock, I (and others) aren't going to buy sheep whose tails have been docked which means we don't know if the sheep meets the breed standard or not.<

Hi Betty,
Re: your comments about tail length and the breed standard... I can't comment on the JSC Breed standard as I don't have a copy here, but I couldn't find anything in the JSBA breed standard that disqualifies a lamb if it's tail is longer than the hock.

I could only find two references to tail length...
1 ) In the "Desirable Traits" section it says "The natural Jacob tail reaches almost to the hock; is wooly, not hairy."

2) In the Unacceptable/Disqualifying Traits" section it lists "Fat or short tailed" (which would indicate crossing with a fat tailed breed - like Karakul, or a Northern short tail breed - like Shetland or Icelandic)

I see nothing that indicates that a lamb with a tail longer (or shorter) then the hock is an automatic cull.  To my way of thinking it would just have a "less desirable" tail.  Have I missed something?

We dock tails here, have had no problems and will continue to do so.  But, we also take photos of all lambs shortly after birth when their tails are still very attached.  That helps us document color percentage, wool type, tail length, etc. and helps us identify them later if they lose an ear tag.

I'm guessing that taking photos of the new lambs is a fairly common practice among Jacob breeders, especially since the lambs are so cute.  If your primary concern with docked tails is that you can't determine the natural tail length you could always ask to see a lamb photo.

Based on the many photos I've seen in the past few years of American Jacob sheep I'd have to say that the majority have docked tails.  It seems to me that rejecting potential breeding stock because of docked tails would certainly narrow your genetic options.

Karen Lobb
bide a wee farm
www.bideaweefarm.com