[Jacob-list] trimming horns

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 18:10:58 EST 2004

Why would anybody trim or cut off Jacob horns?  That is part of the distinction of the Jacob.  If the animal has horns growing into their face......maybe they are better off on the table?  This being said from somebody who has trimmed the occasional horn...and from somebody who has also noted that when side horns on ewes  get knocked off, they often grow back a completely different direction the next time----all leading back to the beginning of this circular argument whether to or whether not to trim horns and for what reasons......

If you are going to think about trimming horns, take the time to feel the horn.  The area where the blood is circulating is often warm, versus the end where no blood is to be found will be cold or "air temperature".  Don't trim close to the warm area and you don't have to worry about blood stop powder or any other medicinals be they homeopathic or manufactured.

Mary Ellen

Kelley Rambo <Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu> wrote:
Someone asked about training or trimming horns. I have not tried training,
but have heard that sometimes weights are used to train cow horns. I use
saw wire (in the gynecological sections of the livestock catalogues) to
trim the horns and have cotton balls, vet wrap, yarrow, homeopathic arnica
& hypericum on hand. I usually give them the hypericum and arnica before
I start (1 dose of 200c each). If they bleed (which I try to avoid if I
can), I will cover with fresh yarrow (if available) and pack with cotton
balls and cover with vet wrap.

My vet mentioned and I also read just the other day that some horns can
just be banded and then they fall off. Does anyone have experience with
that on Jacob horns?

Kelley

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm