[Jacob-list] trimming horns

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Thu Jan 15 16:28:16 EST 2004

Someone asked about training or trimming horns. I have not tried training,
but have heard that sometimes weights are used to train cow horns.  I use
saw wire (in the gynecological sections of the livestock catalogues) to
trim the horns and have cotton balls, vet wrap, yarrow, homeopathic arnica
& hypericum on hand.  I usually give them the hypericum and arnica before
I start (1 dose of 200c each).  If they bleed (which I try to avoid if I
can), I will cover with fresh yarrow (if available) and pack with cotton
balls and cover with vet wrap.

My vet mentioned and I also read just the other day that some horns can
just be banded and then they fall off.  Does anyone have experience with
that on Jacob horns?

Kelley