[Jacob-list] tails

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 18:06:49 EST 2004

Betty and all,

I have seen more tails that are half-way up from the hock that tend to bother me.  Tails below the hock significantly should be eaten irregardless of whether they are docked or not.  They should not be docked and sold as pets either!  Those wind up in the breeding population all too soon with narry a soul questioning a thing.

Mary Ellen

Betty Berlenbach <lambfarm at sover.net> wrote:
Those of you who dock tails: if the baby lamb's tail comes below the hock, do you then cull, or do you dock and try to pass it off as a lamb who meets the breed standard?  There's the big problem with me with docking...not people tryiing to cheat, but people so new at it that they don't realize that even if they cut that long tail off, that sheep is no longer eligible for registration.  If we are trying to breed for a certain tail length, and the tails are removed, how do we go about being responsible in terms of breeding for certain tail lengths, when we don't know how long that tail WAS?

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool
www.iseespots.com