[Jacob-list] Where is the JSC?

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Wed Jan 7 06:50:33 EST 2004

Thanks, Cindy.  I just want to say "ditto" to the people who do similar
things in JSBA, though God knows, the tasks are spread much more broadly
than one couple, thank God.  Still, I agree that these people all give a lot
of volunteer time, while having lives, and if the registrations take a
couple of months to come back, that's life.  Where some registries hire
professional registry agencies, with paid employees whose JOB it is, paid
and all, to work 8 hours a day, five days a week, doing this stuff, and so
they are more timely, both JSC and JSBA are mostly volunteer positions, or
nominally paid by the piece type of positions, which is really NOT adequate
compensation.  I have the same problem with other organizations I'm part of.
Since we now live in an instant everything society, the idea that things can
be done over time is anathema to some people.  Even mail!  Many of my
friends will not send letters anymore, because they want an instant answer,
and don't want to wait a week.  And when they don't get an instant answer,
they send a second email saying, "Well, did you get my email?  You haven't
answered and it's been 2 days!"  as if people had time to sit down and
answer every email the hour it arrived.  When working with volunteers, the
understanding is that compassion and patience and gratitude are important
words, I think.  Thanks, Cindy, for pointing that out.