[Jacob-list] Where is the JSC?

Cindy M Telisak jacobsreward at juno.com
Tue Jan 6 22:43:32 EST 2004

Did somebody ask about even current existance of the JSC a
> couple days ago?  The JSC must still exist as a friend said her
> check from a couple months or so back was cashed for
> transfer/registry of sheep sold to me (not that I have seen any
> paperwork/communication coming my direction from that
> organization)....  My registry apps for 26 sheep sent in October
> have no paperwork back from the JSBA registrar yet either--

Hi Jacob friends,
I'm technically a Jacob owner, and definitely an enthusiast living in a
suburb near Lucas, TX.  I'm not interested in stirring up controversy,
but as an eye-witness to the JSC registration process from time to time,
I have to make a few comments.

Time passes between issues of the Journal, or between when you send in
your papers and when you get them back.  It might seem, then, that
nothing is happening in the interim.  I just wanted to shed a little
light on what really goes on..  Fred and Joan Horak have over 100 of
their own sheep running on about 20 acres, plus half a dozen horses to
tend.  They also have grown children and a lovely grandson not far away.
On top of these personal and family responsibilities they donate hundreds
and hundreds of hours to the JSC, year after year.  This time is spent
researching, writing, publishing, assembling and mailing the Journal,
promoting the breed at sheep festivals and wool shows, and also handling
every piece of paper in about 1600 sheep files, bringing these records
into some kind of consistency and integrity, and preparing them for
permanent archiving, to preserve the records vital to the task of
conservancy.  I know what a chore this is, because I've sat at their
buried dining table for several days on end helping out.  Another JSC
member friend has given weeks of her time as a professional archivist to
help get the job done.  The registration process itself is tedious and
time consuming on Joan's end because of all the necessary checks and
balances put in place to protect the records.  It's thankless and
expensive work, much of which they pay for themselves.  They carry on
because it's a job that needs to be done, and nobody else seems anxious
to assume the job.  I'm sure over the years more valuable volunteer time
has been given in other areas of the Conservancy by St. Jude's Farm.

My request is two-fold.  1) Please think twice before making casual
comments that denegrate the labors of love of people you know.  And 2) if
you have concerns about your paperwork, invest in a short phone call.
Though you may not get immediate e-mail response, the Horaks almost
always are available to pick up the phone.  OK, three-fold: consider
investing some volunteer hours yourself to further the cause of the Jacob
sheep through the Conservancy and take some of the load off of those who
are perpetually exhausted from the responsibility.  There's a lot more
that could be done to help both sheep and breeder if more people took up
the cause.

The Horaks never toot their own horns, and I'm probably in big trouble
with them for doing it, but I watch them devote literally their whole
existence around these spotted little critters, and I think that's
remarkable--and worthy of note.

Blessings to all,
Cindy Telisak
Jacob's Reward Handspinning