[Jacob-list] ear tags

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Mon Jan 5 13:52:38 EST 2004

How does one remove those !@&#$ ear tags?  The sheep were done before
moving them from VT and their ears are STILL SORE!  I used to love
stroking their soft ears (they did, too!).  Now they're very tender and I
can only do one side.  One of the rams had his ear ripped right down the
center by the person that tagged them.  I think it's terribly cruel,
especially since the logic behind it is severely lacking (they really
can't tell anything about where the sheep have been or who they've been in
contact with from those tags) AND they're Jacobs - each is individually
identifiable (sp?) through their markings and unique horns.  I am
concerned about how they will heal, some look a little off.  I guess I
just assumed they would be fine, but I'll look a little closer now that I
know there is the chance they could become infected (which I suppose now
that I write this that makes more sense than my first assumption).  Should
I wriggle them a little like you do new earrings on people?  I'm really
burnt by the idea of t
agging.

Kelley