[Jacob-list] Re: Jacob-list digest, Vol 2 #1 - 13 msgs

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 06:16:48 EST 2004

Gail,

I had a "shrimp-eating ram" at one point, and I am sure that given the opportunity and understanding of the taste of eggs, that the sheep just might eat and grab your eggs.  If you have seen the same end consequences before in the same area, my bet would be that you have your critter.

I have had my worst problem with tags in the summertime.  I have participated in the volunteer scrapie program for several years now.  When given the opportunity, I like to tag in the spring.

Of course, this past July 4 dawned bright and early.  My over-worked USDA vet (been on detail much of the year in CA with their fowl problems) called and told me that would be just about the only time he could catch up with me before into August----and then I would be over the year between checks and that wouldn't look good on the paperwork.  Would i want to go ahead and do the check in about an hour??  WELL....I said, "sure---come on out".  I went flying to the computer...printed out my current status and the changes (have an Excel document that has all of this and is updated regularly), and then collected all 50 or so sheep.....WELL, I hadn't gotten around to tagging sheep since he had been there the year before, so I had ONE BIG JOB on my hands---and at the worst time of the year to do it!  I had all sheep tagged and in place, though, when he drove up about 9 am except one ram lamb.

Not a single sheep got infected that round up, and I am thankful.  The year before, I had about 6 ear tags of 10 that got infected.

I use the round 1 inch or so tags and have had very few problems with them.

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool