[Jacob-list] Re: Jacob-list digest, Vol 2 #1 - 13 msgs

Jgrisner at aol.com Jgrisner at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 23:50:00 EST 2004

I'm from a small farming community in Kansas. This is our second year of
owning Jacob sheep. We have 5 ewes, a ram & 2 nutered males. We also have mini
donkeys, pigmy goats, a llama, paint horses and the usual chickens, ducks, a
goose and a blue turkey. I love animals!

A friend told me about this site and I have learned a lot from it. We have
never had sheep before, so your discussions are very informative.

I have a couple of questions--- First, I just read about the ear tags that
are required to be able to sell our sheep. I was wondering if anyone else has
had any problems, with the ears with tags, getting infected? Most of my sheep
have been bought from exotic sales in our area. All of our sheeps ears ( the one
with the tag only) become infected within a couple of days of getting them
home. In each case, I have to remove the tag and start doctoring. Some have been
so bad, it has left a very large hole in their ear. I thought about the fly
aspect, but the first sale is in February, so no flies! Some of these sales
also use those large yellow, numbered tags. They also seem to cause the same
problem.

My second question starts with this story--- I was cleaning out the chicken
house the other day. The chicken yard and house are in the middle of the sheep
and goat pens. One of the nutered males jumped in the house, grabbed an egg
from a nest and took off with it. Was he playing or would he have eaten it if I
hadn't taken it away from him. I have come to gather eggs before and found
broken eggs in the same place, but blamed other critters. Most of my sheep were
bottle fed, so are very friendly and I see them play together. But do they play
with things?

Once again, thank you all for all the good information and stories. Jacobs
are wonderful animals and we are enjoying them so much.

Gail, from the land of OZ