[Jacob-list] fleeces

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Thu Feb 26 18:37:57 EST 2004

My sheep, here in Vermont, have between 2-4 pounds of fleece.  The rams have less, possibly because they get no grain, just okay hay.  The ewes get a little grain, though not much, maybe l/4 cup until birth, lactation, then 1/2 cup each.  I think a lot also depends on the TYPE of fleece on the various sheep.  The ones that tend to be more "romneyish" for lack of a better term, seem longer, heavier.  The ones more closed, downy, though denser, are shorter, and tend to be less weight up here.  I know other breeders with longer fleece: they probably feed more.  I weigh the hay, and they don't get extra: 2-1/2 pounds plus the grain for ewes, 3 pounds for the rams/per day.