[Jacob-list] jumping rams

Victoria da Roza castlerockjacobs at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 18:01:08 EST 2004

HI,
   We are reconfiguring our pasture and wondered how
high can a ram jump to get to ewes? Boots is 1 year
old and would need a lot more spring to heft his
weight than when he was a lamb.  Would 4 ft. be high
enough?  Most of our fences are 6 ft. to keep out the
high number of deer and all their diseases, but
wondered if 4 ft. cross fencing within those fences
could be four feet?
   We are amazed at how precosial the lambs are.  They
are ready to run, climb and at 3 days they are already
pulling the tops off grass and sitting down and
chewing their cud a bit. They were 6 lbs and 6 and 1/2
lbs at birth so maybe they just stayed in there till
they were ready to fully function.  We thought they'd
never come.  OUr other ewe, Munchkin still shows no
signs of pregnancy(bagging up) so maybe she miscarried
 because they were with the ram at the same time.
   I just love this time of year when there are no
bugs out and the grass is green and long and the lambs
are acting like jumping beans.  It is a little damp
with the light showers this last week but if heaven is
not like this then I don't want to go.;-)

=====
Victoria
Castle Rock Farm
Jacob Sheep & Nigerian Dwarf Goats