[Jacob-list] messy shearing

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 20:56:47 EST 2004

Hi Barbara
I agree with what most folk have said about the messed up fleece you got, but I would like to add that shearing so early in the year can be difficult if there is no rise to the wool.  This can make it less easy for the shears to glide through the fleece so second cuts are more likely. If the fleece is shorn through the rise then it is also more likely to hold together.  We have found though that Jacob fleece has a greater tendency to fall apart than some greasier breeds - the grease holds it together.  I have found Jacob to be the most difficult of the breeds we keep to roll beautifully for fleece competitions.

Tell us a bit more about your shearer ; is he/she used to shearing horned sheep ? Is he a commercial shearer trying to give a good-looking result on the animal rather than producing a quality fleece? Did he have a problem controlling your ewe during shearing? Have you discussed any difficulties with him ?

If you decide to learn to shear yourself, you might find the Jacob quite a heavy sheep to handle, but many people here, for one reason or another, shear them standing up and take the fleece off in two halves.

I would suggest that your messed up fleece is not a good one to sell to a handspinner ; even if you sort it into separate colours to explain why it's broken apart , the fibres will be of varying lengths.  This will not enhance your reputation as a fleece producer - either use it yourself or write it off to experience. Most hand spinners expect perfection in the fleeces they buy, and even then do not expect to pay an appropriate amount.......

Good Luck in the future.
Juliet in Scotland