[Jacob-list] Round-Up

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sun Feb 8 19:57:06 EST 2004

Our sheep do not eat thistles, pokeweed or Mexican Tea weed (which is sold
by some as an herb). All of these are broad leaved plants, and treatment of
these could benefit from using a more specific herbicide than Round-Up. The
2,4,D group of chemicals are nasty to work with and have a long with-hold
period, but there are others that will work. Check with the Agricultural
Extension Service. One product that works well is 'Ally', which is highly
specific to broad-leaved plants and relatively expensive; but, the hold out
period is (to quote an expert) "don't run over any sheep with the tractor
while you're spraying".

If you use Round-Up, there are several techniques that work that can avoid
getting Round-Up on non-target plants. "Wipe-on" applicators use Round-Up
full strength, and are used to place small amounts of the product only on
target plants. (You can even fix your riding lawn mower with a wick
applicator, adjusting the wick at the right height to treat the taller
weeds.) Perennial plants can be cut off, then prevented from growing back by
immediately paint the stems with Round-Up concentrate.

Neal Grose
North Carolina