[Jacob-list] Jacob crosses???

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 14 09:21:11 EST 2004

I've had some Jacob/Icelandic crosses, They have been mostly black,
some have had a few white spots or stripes on their bodies, a couple
have had "Jacob" faces. Their wool grew longer, faster and stayed very
black, didn't sunburn on the tips. I was excited about spinning it, but
it turned out to be a real challenge - it was slippery, sort of like
spinning llama fiber.
I had a half black, half white Icelandic ram (whose sire was a moorit),
get in with my Churros last year. The lambs he sired were: one white
with a brown eye patch, one black badger with spots, and one black with
some white stripes and spots. Their wool has grown longer, faster, than
most Churros and again, the black fiber is really black , no sun
bleaching. I just had them sheared Saturday, I'm curious as to how that
black wool will spin.
I've had a couple of Jacob/Churro crosses in the past that looked way
too much like Jacobs - what was your experience?
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm
Oakland, Oregon